Pages

Slider

Monday, August 9, 2010

And all good things

Must come to an end. Marty passed away on 7 August 2010 at 2:45 a.m. I spent the final day with Marty holding his hand while I read a book.

I dont feel sad that he has passed, but I fee somehow sad that he will no longer be here. I have gained a closeness with him in the last 6 weeks that can not be explained.

Martys passing was a fast process in my opinion. It took him about 3.5 hours to make his exit and I was prepared for it to take much longer than that and I am greatful for the quickness.

Marty has always been a very private man, and he was a loner in most ways. However, in his final 9 months he just wanted people to be with him and to never be alone. He and I talked weeks ago when he was given his final timeline of 2-8 weeks and I promised him that he would not be alone at the time of his passing. That Kevin and I would be there with him no matter what.

Marty fought his ending for hours with Kevin and I by his side and then a nurse suggeted that maybe he would like to have some privacy for his passing. I quickly said no way, I promised him I would not leave him alone! As I watched his struggle for a few more moments, I thought there would be no harm in allowing him a few moments to see if that is what he needed. With a heavy and torn heart, I told him we were going to get a drink, use the bathroom, give him a few minutes to get some rest and then we would be back to check on him.

4 minutes later, Marty made his exit :) He just wanted to be alone :) He is greatly missed by many :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment